Drill Press Milling Machine Conversion
Just like the drill press, milling machine is also the greatest tool used by the people. The milling machine operates keenly to produce fine holes within a surface you want. It is also used to remove all the unwanted things from the parts of the surfaces. There are two reasons for which the sales of the milling machine is so limited. These two reasons are the milling machine is so expensive and it does not use a lot in the home.
In order to solve your problem, you can have a drill press milling machine conversion. It is only possible if you have a drill press machine available at your home. Now you don’t need to worry about the old drill press machine. You can easily convert it and manufacture a new milling machine. The conversion of the drill press to the milling machine includes some important modifications without which the conversion is not possible. This conversion will not be so much costly as purchasing a new milling machine. In order to complete the conversion successfully, you must have an old drill press machine and a lathe so that you can create a milling machine.
- First of all, you have to replace the bearing of the lower spindle with the double row bearing that is angularly shaped. You can also use the 520x series. By this the issue regarding bearing’s side thrust issues.
- In the next step, you have to take the Morse taper with the 30 series collet. You can use a lock pin or a drawbar in order to hold the taper. By doing so, you can solve the problems like coming off drill chuck.
- The table of the drill press should be replaced with a rigid table so that the table can work for the milling machine. On the other hand, the drill press mounted on the table does not show good results because of low rigidity. In order to solve this problem, you have to lower down the height and mount the head of the drill press again with the help of gib. This will make the head more rigid, mounted on the column. The gib cab also be used for the spindle in order to remove the extra slacks present in the spindle. Later on, you have to mount the table to base directly.
- On the other hand, if you don’t want to use the table for this conversion. You can mount your drill press to the lathe and then use the axes of the lathe to move the piece of the work below the mill.
- A heavy bracket was created by welding the thick steel plate that is used to lock the column of the drill press and the lathe bed.
You can refer the below video for more information
There are some important things that you must keep in mind while conducting the conversion process. Although, these points are not important. I mean you can carry on the conversion without these points but following them will be a plus. These points include:
- You can use brass bearing instead of the aluminum.
- While doing all the conversion, I would like to say you that you should not create a mass. It will not only disappoint you, but you will be confused that what you should do now.
- Choose the best way that you think either the way of conversion with the table or the conversion with the lathe. It is completely up to you.
Drill press milling machine conversion is very easy and simple. You have to follow some simple processes to complete the conversion in a successful way. While completing the conversion process, it is very important that you should follow some recommendations. It is good for your conversion. You can also do the conversion without getting views from others. The most important and the essential thing you need to know is different parts of the drill press and all the important things that you need during conversion process. If you don’t have information about these parts, then it would not be possible for you to purchase them from market and make the conversion successfully.
So, don’t waste your old drill press and convert it in another form you want…….