Best Drill Press for Woodworking in 2019
Woodworking demands a tool that is powerful and drills holes with accuracy. Loads of other tasks are also to be performed by those who are working with wood for construction purposes. When a list of tasks is at hand, woodworkers need an outstanding and efficient tool to carry out all of them with ease. In such cases the most renowned machine used by the workers is drill press but when it comes to this tool, how would you know which is the best drill press for woodworking? We have compiled some great information to help you pick the best machine. Want to know what it is? Go ahead and keep reading this.
Best Woodworking Drill Press
- Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
- WEN 4208 8-Inch 5 Speed Drill Press
- SKIL 3320-01 120-Volt 10-Inch Drill Press
About the manufacturers
All the three companies from which we have enlisted the top 3 drill presses are famous for their power tools which are widely used for woodworking as well as for drilling other materials. WEN has been designing high-quality machines since 1951 and has impressed loads of users. Delta is also among the best-known companies for making power tools like a drill press or other constructive tools. Coming to SKIL, we assure you that this company leads in delivering good and portable electric power tools.
High quality, great performance and firm body of the machine; all the three companies provide these essentials, what else do you need?
Short reviews of top 3 products
Let’s increase your knowledge about the features of these products. Here are the short reviews for each product which will help you decide which one to pick for your use. Hold onto your seat belts, some amazing features are coming your way!
1. Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
When it comes to Delta power tools, everyone gets excited about what’s coming next. Among the many users of its power tools, Delta has made an overall impressive profile. The users have appreciated its easy handling and easy setting up of the machine. The laser light and its 6” quill are among the most liked features. Many users gave it a five-star rating by saying that it can even drill 21/2” hole in the end grain of the cedar. Here are some of its other features:
- Dimensions: 59 x 12.8 x 3.2 inches
- You can change the speed quickly through its Auto-tensioning belt drive system
- It provides full 6-inch quill stroke
- Micro-adjustable depth stops and independent depth scale
- It comes with TWIN LASER service
- 5 years warranty
2. WEN 4208 8-Inch 5 Speed Drill Press
Before we let you know what other users think about it, have a look at its mind-blowing features yourself:
- It offers 5 speeds ranging from 620 to 3100 RPMs. You can drill any type of material with varying thickness.
- It has 1/2” keyed chuck
- 1/3 HP induction motor. It ensures that max torque and power is provided for the work.
- The dimension of worktable: 6.5 x 6.5”, adjustable height option
- The table can bevel up to 45 degrees both, right and left.
- You can mount clamps or vises on the table for effective working
It WEN’s power tool we are talking about? It is one of the best woodworking drill press. People who have used this drill press say that they were blown away by the quality of work it does. It is easy to set up and can drill repeated holes in the material. The depth gauge along with the depth and retraction stop helps in doing so.
3. SKIL 3320-01 120-Volt 10-Inch Drill Press
SKIL electric power tool developers have surely looked into what they are giving to the population. Every user who has bought this tool is impressed by the power, torque and the range of speeds it provides. This drill press ensures precise hole alignment. What makes this function more perfect? The depth adjustment system which helps you drill accurately. The features of SKIL 3320 are:
- It comes with a powerful motor which is efficient in working
- Laser X2 which makes sure you can drill precise holes.
- The work surface is good with a tilting option of 45 degrees right and left.
- 1/2” keyed chuck. Now you can fix larger bits in the machine which are required for cutting and woodworking.
- Color: red
- 3 years warranty
- 30 days money-back guarantee
Aren’t all these features the ones you are looking for?
Why we should choose this group of products?
Above we have mentioned individual features of the three great products but you must be thinking about why you should buy them? You must buy them to get an outstanding outcome. All these machines are cost-effective and would save you time.
1. Works efficiently
The machine works in an efficient manner owing to the motor installed in it. It provides high power and maximum torque for cutting or drilling through thick wood pieces. Those who play with wood know how thick it can be and also this that a real heavy and powerful tool is required to drill through it.
2. Set of various speeds
One thing common in the tool launched nowadays is the multiple speed options given by the respective company. This enables you to adjust the speed according to your use and carry out your work with peace of mind.
3. Illumination and precise drilling
Laser beams come with most of the products. These three have high-quality laser installed in it. You can use it to illuminate your work surface as it provides few shadows.
4. Easy to handle and great set of instructions are given in the manual
Ask anyone and all of them would give the same response. These drill presses are easy to set, easy to use and easy to handle. The manual which comes along is full of details about its part and how to use them.
5. Comfortable worktable
While working you need space on your worktable so that you can manage the material and the machine at the same time. The tilting option is a treat for the users.
How to use this group of the product?
Usually manual comes along with the package of each power tool giving instructions and stating steps to be followed while setting and using this machine. Some of the main and useful ones are as follows:
- A drill press is functional when the connection between its motor, pulley, and spindle is maintained. The motor drives the pulley which in turn allows the spindle to drive the bit.
- Usage of bit:
You can use large diameter bits for slower speed and if you need high speed, you can use smaller diameter bits.
- The speed setting can be changed by the use of the belt. Drive it from one pulley to another to choose the speed you want.
- Set the table before you start working. Adjust its height according to your need and if you need to tilt it, tilt it properly.
- Make sure you have secured your workplace by clamping the table. How does this help? It avoids the spinning of the material by the rotating drill bit.
- Once you are sure you have set all the things properly, start drilling.
Maintenance & Cleaning guide
Every tool needs maintenance or else it would be damaged. The working efficiency of the tool highly depends on the quality of the tool as well as how properly it is maintained.
- The best woodworking drill press needs lubrication in intervals. It is important because while working the machine suffers from friction and heat.
- Clean the machine after every use. Remove the dirt from its belts and grooves on the work surface.
- Make sure before using the machine that the belts are in proper positions on the pulley. You need to use every part of the drill press in the way it is designed or else they will wear out. Clamping kit must be used in the right way too.
- Follow other safety measures like wearing ear and eye protection while working.
- When you are done with your work, unplug your machine and then leave your workplace.
- Make sure everything is in place. If any part is loose and you start using the machine, the outcome would be hazardous.
- Don’t touch the rotating part of the drill press while you are running the machine.
A drill press is designed for providing power and accuracy which a drill machine used by hand cannot. When we talk about the best drill press for woodworking, we are referring to its ability to provide an efficient service within the economical price and without the expenditure of long hours over a single work. Such a drill press can also perform other functions like countersinking, boring, reaming, tapping and many others.
Click here to get more information about The Best Drill Press Review