5 Best Angle Grinders – Top Models 2020
If you own a garage or workshop then you probably know that you cannot do a lot without an angle grinder in your toolbox. These are powerful, efficient and versatile tools that make the life of a handyman easier.
This one tool can actually serve so many different purposes that once you own it you will wonder how you ever managed to do without it.
Having an angle grinder at home can actually help you take care of various things such as leveling out an uneven floor, cutting metal or sharpening blades for domestic and commercial use.
If you own a car that is more than five years old then you would know that it always needs some repair work, and having a handy power tool can help you do the fixes yourself. So, you get the liberty to brag at the office on a Monday morning about how you fixed your car over the weekend!
Now, if you are planning to buy an angle grinder then we would suggest that you spend some time studying the market and gathering information about the various angle grinders available.
Making an informed purchase and investing in a good quality angle grinder will ensure that you have no regrets later on. The two main factors you would need to take care of when buying an angle grinder is the brand and value for money.
Choosing a trusted manufacturer of tools will make sure that their products will stand the tests of time. Some of the most popular brands available are DeWalt, Makita, Porter-Cable, and Bosch.
Top 5 Best Angle Grinder Reviews
You need to also keep your finances in mind and look for a quality product that falls within your budget. We have reviewed some of the best products available in the market to narrow down your search for best angle grinder:
1. Black & Decker BDEG400 6-Amp Angle Grinder
The Black & Decker BDEG400 6-Amp Angle Grinder is the first product we will review from our list of best angle grinders. This power tool is built by an American company known for manufacturing power tools, hardware, accessories, home improvement products, and systems.
The BDEG400 comes handy for performing a wide range of activities such as cutting, sharpening, rust removal, and surface preparation.
The BDEG400 comes in a sturdy metal gear that adds durability to it. The grinder features a 3-position side handle which further makes it comfortable to use and control from different angles.
The spindle lock enables users to quickly change the accessories when required. The Black & Decker angle grinder can operate at a speed of 10,000 rpm.
- Ideal for day-to-day cutting and grinding jobs
- The 3-position side handle offers added comfort and enhanced control
- The 6-Amp motor delivers good performance
- Convenient spindle lock to make quick and easy accessory changes
- Robust metal gear makes grinder last for long
- The angle grinder is easy to operate for beginners and it can be used for various DIY projects
- The kit comes with a manual that contains all information related to product and instructions on how to use it safely
- It comes with a 2-year factory warranty so there is nothing to lose
- The 30-days satisfaction guarantee keeps customers on the safe side
- It comes with a comfortable on/off switch to help you work on DIY projects with ease
- There are a plethora of features that make this product good value for money
- Performance-wise, this is good for moderate use. You get what you pay for.
- The BDEG400 gets too hot after a point so you need to let it rest and cool down
- It is not a professional-grade grinder, meant only for home use. It is not built for heavy-duty commercial use.
The Black & Decker BDEG400 6-Amp Angle Grinder does what it is expected to do and you can get things done at an affordable price which is a plus.
The biggest downside is that it can be only used moderately because if you use it for more than 5 minutes for heavy metal cutting, the body of the grinder gets too hot.
Although it is not noisy, there will be lost of debris flying while you cut something with this grinder so ensure you have safety gear on.
2. PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG Angle Grinder/Cut Off Tool
The state-of-art Porter-Cable PC60TPAG is a small angle grinder built to deliver professional-grade performance. It offers a lightweight and compact tool for professionals who need an aggressive and efficient corded power tool to use on the job site.
It is one of the lightest angle grinders available in the market, weighing only 4.1 pounds. The powerful 7 amp motor can deliver up to 11,000 RPM speed which is really impressive and suitable for commercial jobs at the worksite.
Porter-Cable PC60TPAG comes with a 3-position handle that adds convenience and ease of use to the product. The convenient paddle switch offers easy automatic control.
It is a perfect tool for welders, fabricators, masons, contractors, and tradesmen who perform activities such as metal cutting, grinding, tuckpointing, and polishing.
Taking into account that this tool is used at professional job sites, it comes with a cutting guard and grinding guard that enhance productivity and improve safety.
- Cast metal case for enhanced durability
- Tool-free grinding and cutting guards for better adjustment
- Additional accessories for better performance
- It weighs 6.9 pounds and needs an electric source of 120 Volts
- The 3-year warranty covers any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship
- One year free service contract
- The angle grinder performs really well and cuts easily through various types of metals.
- The manufacturer has paid attention to the safety part. The guards provide good protection from injury caused by
- hot sparks or blade breakage
- It comes with a reliable paddle switch that offers good control
- This angle grinder is versatile and powerful. It offers good value for money
- The 7 amps power is pretty strong for various projects
- Ease of use makes it a user-friendly tool for beginners as well as professionals
- It does not come with a case although the manual says that there is a case included in the kit
- Replacement of parts may take longer than expected
When you want a professional-grade angle grinder that delivers good performance but does not break the bank then the Porter-Cable PC60TPAG is a good choice. The plethora of features and product warranty makes it a sure winner!
3. Dewalt DWE402 Paddle Switch Angle Grinder
The next angle grinder we will review in this list is the DEWALT DWE402 4-1/2-Inch 11-Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder. Well, the name says it all because Dewalt is a reputed manufacturer of power tools and hand tools. So, does the Dewalt DWE402 deliver like expected? Let’s find out.
When you take a closer look at the Dewalt DWE402 4-1/2-Inch 11-Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder, you know instantly that this beast means serious business. It comes with an advanced next generation 11,000 rpm motor that promises good speed and performance.
The unique ‘Dust Ejection System’ removes the dust and debris particles that get inside the tool to add durability to the product. The oversized brushes are an improvement on the earlier models. The new side handle design gives a good grip and provides extra comfort to the users.
- The 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 rpm motor delivers good performance
- It comes with a spindle size-5/8″-11 in corded power tool
- The total length of the tool is 12 inches
- It comes with the one-touch guard, position side handle and a wrench
- The spindle lock button optimizes the depth of cut
- The Dewalt DWE402 comes with a unique ‘dust ejection system’ that protects the tool from any damage by removing the dirt and debris. This adds durability to the product.
- The auto-off capability of brushes shuts down the tool when brushes need replacement. This helps to avoid any accidental tool damage.
- The new design of side handles boosts the ergonomic quality of the tool. This further adds more years to the product.
- There’s a special gripping surface that helps users get a good grip when using the tool for cutting or grinding. It adds comfort and convenience while working with the power tool.
- The angle grinder is slightly heavy, weighing about 6 lbs. So, if you are looking for a grinder for light jobs around the house then choose the other lighter alternatives.
- The safety lock switch is placed rather abruptly as it usually gets covered with debris. It usually wears off after some time.
The Dewalt DWE402 is made in the USA and it delivers as promised! The tool is rich with useful features and it is equipped with various protective guards to keep you safe. It comes in a nice sturdy box. Although it is slightly heavy for beginners, the professionals will find it good enough. Overall, this is a stable, durable and efficient tool. Definitely, a good buy at this price!
4. Makita 9557PBX1 Angle Grinder with Aluminum Case
The next product we review is the Makita 9557PBX1 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder. It comes from a company that takes pride in creating high-quality tools since 1915.
Don’t get fooled by the humble external appearance of the grinder because the AC/DC, 7.5A motor is capable of delivering high-quality professional-grade performance. It boasts a unique labyrinth construction design that seals the motor to protect it from any kind of contamination.
The 9557NBX comes with a switch that is positioned on the top of the motor and a barrel grip offers a comfortable handling. The side handle can be attached to any side of the motor as per the convenience of the user.
The kit also includes grinding wheels, wheel guard, turbo diamond blade, extra diamond wheel, and a carry case.
- It boasts a powerful 7.5-Amp motor that can deliver 11,000 rpm
- AC/DC power switch can be used to change power consumption modes
- Tightly wound coils help to reduce heat and energy loss
- Labyrinth construction of the motor protects it from dust contamination
- Makita offers one-year product warranty and a one-month replacement guarantee
- The product comes in a sturdy aluminum box with zinc-coated latches and handles. There are cut-outs within the case for the tool and separate wheels.
- The tool has plenty of power to get home jobs done and it may even farewell for the heavy-duty commercial tasks.
- The kit comes with one stone cutting blade and there are five wheels that come handy for a variety of cutting, grinding and surface leveling tasks.
- The ergonomic design of the tool provides enhanced user comfort and control. The product has been engineered for high-grade industrial performance.
- The grinder can be used for longer duration without the tool getting heated up.
- The Makita 9557PBX1 doesn’t feel as smooth as expected at the time of grinding. It is slightly jumpy and makes a lot of noise. For a quality product like this, expectations are usually high.
- The power switch that comes with the tool is too small and it also appears a little flimsy.
The Makita 9557PBX1 is a good product for anyone looking for a quality grinder for small jobs at home and some heavy-duty commercial jobs too. It delivers good performance and works as expected. You get what you pay for, maybe slightly more!
5. Hitachi G12SR4 Angle Grinder with 5 Abrasive Wheels
The fifth product we review today is the Hitachi G12SR4 Angle Grinder built by a company that enjoys the reputation of the market leader for creating high-quality power tools.
The G12SR4 comes with 5 powerful grinding wheels to do a variety of jobs and the entire kit comes in a sturdy and beautiful carrying case.
It also includes a wheel guard, spanner wrench, side handle, case, center wheels (5 nos) and so on. The G12SR4 comes with a 6.2 Amp motor that is capable of delivering a powerful performance.
- The 6.2 Amp motor delivers maximum 980W output power for grinding jobs
- It comes with a spindle lock for quick accessory and disc changes
- The trigger lock-on feature allows comfortable and uninterrupted operation
- The overload durability feature adds reliability to tools
- Left-mounted slide switch gives added safety to the product
- The removable side handle provides better control and comfort for users
- The compact and lightweight design of the tool offers enhanced control and maneuverability
- The lightweight of the grinder makes it good for overhead tasks and it is convenient to carry to job sites as well.
- It works well when cutting or grinding. At this price, it delivers impressive power and performance for small home jobs.
- The angle grinder comes with variable speed controls so it is convenient to use the product for different types of jobs.
- The tool is built in a way to automatically shut down when it gets overheated and this feature is really critical for the safety of users.
- The tool gets overheated and shuts down if you use it continuously for about an hour, and you will have to wait until it cools down to be able to use it again. The fan that comes with it is too small and doesn’t help to keep it cool.
The Hitachi G12SR4 scores are high for great value and performance. The tool is rich with many features and it is built keeping in mind the safety of users. The variable speed technology makes the tool super versatile for various types of jobs.We would also rank the tool high in terms of reliability and durability. Overall, this is a great product for home use and light commercial use. However, we would not recommend it for heavy-duty jobs as the motor tends to get heated quickly.
Whether you are looking for an angle grinder to take care of those small house jobs that get neglected due to the lack of a proper tool or you need it for your business use, finding the right angle grinder is important.We would recommend that you opt for brands that you can trust because companies that have been manufacturing power tools for years are the ones who are above the learning curve.
The high-quality grinders from reputed manufacturers come with added advantages that you would not find in a locally made product.When buying an angle grinder or any power tool, there are three important things that you must consider and these are ease of use, performance and safety features.
Apart from ease of use and good performance, you must also ensure that the product includes safety features for the operator’s well-being.When using an angle grinder at home or commercial site, always make sure that you wear protective gear such as helmets, gloves and eyeglasses to keep yourself safe from any accidental damage caused by flying dust or debris.